Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2016

"I Will Always Write Back" - A MUST READ

I know, I know...I've been MIA for quite some time. The end of the school year got rather busy, and I just couldn't find the time to write. Besides, it's not like I have numerous followers just begging for a new blog post! But, here I am again, to share with you a book I just finished that I am planning to read with my 5th & 6th graders next year.


I've started reading a number of different novels for summer break to find something new for my students next year. The thing is, with a combination class where I do read-alouds with the whole group, I've nearly ran out of all of my favorites this past year. Now, I'm on the hunt for some new, wonderful reads to keep my students excited about reading. So...I found this GEM in one of our recent Scholastic book orders. It is a true story, which will keep many of my students engaged, but it almost has a fictional flair to it, because you fall in the love with the characters, and, honestly, you just can't believe it's happening in real life.

The following summary was taken from Goodreads:
The true story of an all-American girl and a boy from an impoverished city in Zimbabwe and the letter that changed both of their lives forever.

It started as an assignment. Everyone in Caitlin's class wrote to an unknown student somewhere in a distant place. All the other kids picked countries like France or Germany, but when Caitlin saw Zimbabwe written on the board, it sounded like the most exotic place she had ever heard of--so she chose it. Martin was lucky to even receive a pen pal letter. There were only ten letters, and forty kids in his class. But he was the top student, so he got the first one. That letter was the beginning of a correspondence that spanned six years and changed two lives.

In this compelling dual memoir, Caitlin and Martin recount how they became best friends --and better people--through letters. Their story will inspire readers to look beyond their own lives and wonder about the world at large and their place in it.

I could not put this book down! Now, mind you, I have four boys, ages 9 months - 9 years. I found time to read this baby. And it only took me a few days! So, I'm looking to create a product to go along with this book that I can use with my students next year. I don't want to do a full novel unit with comprehension questions for each chapter. I think I'd like to do something more along the lines of character analysis. Something we can add onto as the story unfolds. What do you, my readers, think? Any suggestions? Have any of you read this book yet? I'd love to hear your thoughts! :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment